Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review: Confessions of a Sociopath, by M.E. Thomas

Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain SightConfessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight by M.E. Thomas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I just looked up this book and was surprised to find I'm in the minority for liking it. Yes, it is repetitive, as others have said. Yes, the woman's personality is beyond irritating. But I can't fault a book because I don't like the narrator.

I for one found the book pretty fascinating. Maybe it was a sick fascination, but still, it kept me interested and entertained. As others have said, I do wonder if it's one of those fake memoirs, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. In a way, it almost seems like it would take a sociopath to write a fake memoir about being a sociopath.

Anyway, this book isn't a warm fuzzy read, or anything I'd say was fun to read. But it was still hard to put down. And I couldn't help but feel like I was reading about a couple of people I've known (who I suspected might be sociopaths) as I read it. So, even if the woman is unlikeable and 'faking it,' she did get a lot of the sociopathic tendencies correct (or as correct as someone with a psych degree could diagnose an acquaintance). Overall, I was greatly entertained by this book. However, if the author really was as likeable as she claims, I wonder why so many of her readers seem to despise her after reading her book...

You have to wonder when reading a book about a self-confessed liar, how much of it is true. I feel like the author is probably sitting somewhere laughing her ass off as her readers ponder this question. But, I think it's fun to ponder.

Recommended to: Those interested in psychology and memoirs.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment